The role of the Finance Council is to aid the
Pastor in the administration of parish goods. In its advisory role, the
Finance Council assists the pastor in the preparation of the annual
budget, the creation and communication of periodic financial reports and
protection of parish temporal goods. The Finance Council is to reflect the
broad-based ideas of the parish community, and acts as a consultative
resource for the pastor.
Financial Operating Report
Karen Smith, President
Matt Miller, Vice-President
Role of the Finance Council:
Under the direction of the Pastor, the Finance Council serves as a
consultative and advisory committee to the Parish. In its role, the Finance
Council shall provide professional expertise, guidance, and
recommendations for financially sound policies and procedures to the Parish
Council and all active committees, organizations, and affiliated operations
of the Parish.
The duties are listed below. This is only a partial list, and may be
adjusted by the Pastor.
Finally, in regard to its membership, the Pastor will approve all
Finance Council membership, taking into consideration the recommendations and
needs of the committee.
- Review and analyze periodic and annual financial reports, financial
statements, projections and trends provided by the Finance Director. Make
recommendations to the Pastor, Parish Council, and Finance Director based
upon review of such information.
- Provide expertise to support the Finance Director and Parish:
- In the preparation of periodic and annual financial reports and
statements, and in the preparation of financial information for
distribution to the parish community and ministries.
- In the review, financial development, and preparation of the annual
- In preparing information and recommendations of the Parish Budget
for review by the Parish Council and Pastor.
- Serve as a resource for the Finance Director, Parish Council and Pastor.
- Review of parish financial expenditures (over $2,500), including
vendor contracts, offers of employment (both replacement and new
positions) prior to making a financial commitment and to provide
recommendations to the Finance Director,
Parish Council and the Pastor.
- Review of all major Capital expenditures ($5,000 & over), and provide
recommendations to the Pastor, Parish Council, and Finance Director.
- Provide support to the Finance
Director by designating one Finance member to serve on contract review
- Provide guidance and support to the parish by seeking opportunities
for grants and other potential opportunities. Make opportunities known to
parish staff/ministries, and assist in developing grant and other
proposals for funding to the parish.
- Provide professional expertise & support to the Finance Director by providing guidance with:
- Appropriateness of revenue related items, including school,
Religious education, and athletic fees
- Employee Benefits review and recommendations, including health
insurance, life, disability, pension, and worker’s compensation, etc.
- Parish Property, Casualty, and Liability policies.
- Overall employee compensation, including salary surveys and
comparisons, and the development of proposed parish pay structures.
- Overtime compensation issues, including monitoring of
- Employee policies and procedures.
- Review of the finance policies, procedures, and standards for
operating Parish accounts throughout all organizations.
- Provide assistance to the Finance Director by assisting in the
development and monitoring of Archdiocesan taxes and responsibilities.
- Conduct financial reviews on special projects & issues, & provide
recommendations to the Pastor, Parish Council, & appropriate staff.
- Provide a positive and supportive image to all parish groups,
ministries and staff in all Finance Council activities.